Monday, September 7, 2009

Arrival

100_2493

Well everyone I’m sure you have been clamoring back in the U.S, demanding and shouting for news of my journey.  I left for Africa on Monday the 24th of August and I arrived on Tuesday the 25th in Entebbe Africa. 

100_2530 

It was without a doubt the longest flight I have ever experienced,

100_2507

but it was very very fun and the Dutch really know how to feed you on their planes.  Anyway, so after arriving in Africa I stayed my first night on campus before being taken to meet my host family the next day.  They are a really amazing family if I may say.  It is a family of six and now eight including me and another student.  After two days with them our group set out to Rwanda, a neighboring country, for a week and I just got back last night.  My time in Rwanda has been very fun, interesting, and at times really depressing.  Most of the time we were learning about the genocide that took place there which is why it was depressing, but the things I was exposed to I will never forget.  It was really eye opening to learn of the awful violence that took place in Rwanda, to hear about the efforts to rebuild, and to see the country in person.  The places we went included a church where thousands of people were massacred and a genocide memorial museum.  We also got to talk to numerous people about their experiences.  

100_2633

On a happier note, my group and I attended this African church service which was really cool.  There was a lot of singing and dancing we even got to play a song for them.  Also, it was really fun to hang out and get to know the other people on the program.  All the depression was worth it though because on the way back we all got to stay on this island in the middle of this lake.

100_2908

It was super fun as you can see.  Well no one wants to read a novel so I will stop here but here are a few pictures of Africa:

100_2551

100_2608

100_2625

 100_2654

100_2879

100_2728

100_2826

100_2845

2 comments:

  1. You're so not asleep in that picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. DUDE!!! I LOOVVEE YOUr pictures!!!! and youre writing is good man. its enjoyable to read. I smurk alot in laughter reading it. making me look dumb. but its totally worth it. anyway. sick pics. i'm soo excited for you this sounds soooo cool. AHHH. i WISH i was there with you! hey man. miss you and love you!!!!

    ReplyDelete