Thursday, September 10, 2009

Journal Post (09-09-09)

100_2950

(The Following is an actual journal entry)

        Oh my gosh the planets have alligned!! It’s the ninth day of the ninth month in 2009! Wow. Anyway well today I had my very first successful bartering experience in Africa or anywhere for that matter. It happened like this, so today I was determined to purchase a traditional African shirt in this bazaar that they had set up on campus, so I looked around at all the various shops and nothing was striking my fancy.  That is until I saw THE SHIRT.  It was a black shirt with gold trim and it was awesome.  Well this guy saw me looking at it and he comes up to me and tells me to try it on (He owns the place).  I do and I really like it.  I ask “how much” and its 20,000 shillings (2000 shillings is $1.00, you do the math).  Well in Africa, you can always go lower and I knew that the typical shirt went for 15,000.  I tell this guy that I’m only willing to pay 15000 and the lowest he will go is 20,000 so I left.  Well I went to another shop and got a shirt that I liked for 15000.  During the day I went back a few times with Holly.  Each time I went, the shirt I passed by kept catching my eye.  It was so cool.  Holly is with me and she goes over to the shop with the shirt to look for a small rug.  Well the lady who also runs the shop recognized me from before and urged me to try it on so my friend could see (my friend being Holly). I said I would love too but it was too much.  She repeated her offer of 20,000 but I said no.  As we are walking to get a drink, I realize that I really want that shirt, so I went back expecting to pay 20,000 but I got her down to 18,000, which according to my African friend is pretty good.  Well off to bed.

3 comments:

  1. Love it. You should buy a lot, wear them every day at Westmont, be a trend-setter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahaha!!! nice dude!!! way to go!!!! and for sure!! if you'd be a TREND SETTER (NOt like you aren't already :) ) but yea, If i can get one when I go or something, I'd join you for sure in the trend! you look soo tight in that picture!!! FACIAL HAIR?? yes please!!!!! miss you man!
    HEY, I love you dude!

    ReplyDelete